Aisin Holds ESG Briefing for the First Time
-Announcing the Path and Investment Plans Toward Realizing a Carbon Neutral Society-
Nov. 18, 2021
AISIN CORPORATION (Head Office: Kariya, Aichi; President: Moritaka Yoshida) held an ESG briefing today for the first time to deepen dialogue with stakeholders, and help them better understand the Company’s ESG (environmental, social and governance) initiatives.
Upholding the corporate principle of “Inspiring ‘movement,’ creating tomorrow,” Aisin is promoting various initiatives to solve social issues. Among others, carbon neutrality, which is an urgent global issue, is an important theme for Aisin, which is a manufacturing industry. We are seeking to reduce CO2 emissions not only during driving, but also throughout the entire product life cycle.
At the briefing, we announced our planned path and investment plans for achieving carbon neutrality, in terms of both “products” to be provided to customers and our “production” activities.
1. Initiatives in terms of products
• Increase the energy efficiency of the entire vehicle by leveraging a wide range of products and technologies that we have developed thus far, such as electric units, thermal management, cooperative regenerative brake systems, and body products, with the aim of improving the total electricity economy of electric vehicles by 10% or more by 2025.
• In the powertrain field, Aisin’s strength lies in the fact that it is the only parts manufacturer with a full lineup of electric drive units for HEVs, PHEVs, BEVs and FCEVs, and is therefore able to provide products that meet the needs of customers in various regions of the world.
• Especially for eAxle, an area where competition is intensifying, expand the lineup of compact, highly efficient products for all vehicle classes by around 2025.
• By 2025, establish a production system capable of producing 4.5 million electric drive units.
2. Initiatives in terms of production
• Accelerate initiatives under the four themes of “power source/heat source/muda (waste) reduction,” “power generation/combustion,” “CO2 reuse,” and “energy management,” with the aim of reducing production CO2 emissions by 50% by 2030.
• Introduce a new technology for reducing CO2 emissions to melting furnaces, which is one of the major processes for powertrain unit production, with the aim of reducing CO2 emissions in the process by 80% by 2030.
• Increase the renewable energy usage rate through in-house development of a new solar power generation technology, with the aim of increasing the renewable energy (solar power) rate at all global bases to 7% or more by 2030.
3. Investment plans
• In terms or products: By 2025, establish a production system capable of producing electric drive units and cooperative regenerative brake systems, not only in Japan but also globally, including in the United States and China. The plan is to invest a total of 270 billion yen over the next five years.
• In terms of production: The plan is to invest a total of 110 billion yen over the next 10 years in order to ensure that the target of reducing CO2 emissions from production by 50% by 2030 is achieved.
Aisin will contribute to the realization of a carbon-neutral society by further refining its technologies while making the best use of its strengths cultivated in both "products" and "production."
■ Materials related to the ESG briefing are downloadable from the link below.